lessons learned by being the ‘car guy’
July 14th, 2017 | written by: alexbeaudin
Don’t tell people that you know anything about cars.
If you already told them you do…
- Unless you’re certified, make sure people know that you’re not certified.
- You might not be an expert, but everyone will treat you like one. And then tell you you’re wrong.
- Everyone will pretend they know more than you do, even though they have no idea what they’re talking about.
- Nobody else cares. It doesn’t matter what its about, they don’t care. Unless they need something.
- Everyone will ask what you think about their car, a car they like, or a car they want to buy.
- Nobody will understand why you drive a ‘boring’ car. They’ll ask questions like, “Why don’t you drive x car?”
- Whatever you like, and for whatever reason you like it, it’s not going to be as cool as their dad/uncle/brother/cousin’s car.
- “Why don’t you like x car?”
- “Why do you like x car?”
- “Can you teach/show me how to do/fix x?”
- Nobody every maintains their car properly… or at all.
- You’ll never get to work on your own car.